Tristan da Cunha Camogli Hospital
Tristan da Cunha's hospital is manned by expatriate doctors and local nurses, with regular visits by dentists and opticians. It often helps to treat casualties from maritime emergencies.
A new health centre is planned to replace Camogli Hospital and will be known as the Camogli Healthcare Centre. The Island Council decided on 22nd March that the new health centre would be called Camogli Hospital, so retaining the name that has been used since the old hospital was built in 1971.
See the New Camogli Healthcare Centre page for news of the development of the new facility.

The old Camogli Hospital and in front the site of the new hospital planned for construction from 2016.

Camogli Hospital

Camogli Hospital, named after the home town of 1892 Italian settlers Andrea Repetto & Gaetano Lavarello, was built on an exposed site at the west end of the Settlement near Hottentot Gulch in 1971. It replaced the original 'Station Hospital' in temporary buildings erected in 1942 when Tristan was the home of the HMS Atlantic Isle naval station, with a resident doctor (Surgeon Lieutenant Commander Woolley was medical officer-in-charge) for the first time in the island's history. Prior to 1942 Tristan had no specialist medical services, relying on self-help and any expertise on passing ships.

Left: The main entrance to Camogli Hospital

2004 Hospital

The hospital in 2004. The Hospital (with green roof right) and doctor's house (with yellow roof left) have been re-roofed and re-furbished after the 2001 hurricane.In 2004 the Medical Officer was the only permanent resident expatriate post on on the island as even the Administrator has mid-tour leaves (with the Chief Islander normally deputising). The hospital contained a waiting area, casualty/emergency room, consulting rooms, theatre, x-ray department, dental rooms, 2 general wards and a labour ward. Five local nurses assisted the resident doctor. Hospital equipment includes 2 portable x-ray machines & developers and an emergency trolley with ECG and defibrillator. The theatre is fairly well equipped with an anaesthetic machine and endoscope. A new ambulance up to advanced life support standards was received in 2003.

Photo of the Camogli Hospital Team in July 2014
Left to Right: Dr Iain Levack, Teresa Green (Deputy Head Dental Department), Vera Glass (Hospital Manager), Dr Pam Levack, Carol Swain (Pharmacy Assistant), Clive Glass (Health Care Assistant), Michelle Green (Dental Assistant), Sandra Rogers (Nurse), and Judith Green (Nurse).
Other staff - Jane Repetto (Nurse) and Gillian Repetto (Laundry and Cleaner) - are missing from the photo.

Dr Pam Levack, Hospital Manager Vera Glass and Dr Iain Levack in the Camogli Hospital Operating Theatre in July 2014
Hospital Manager Vera Glass in the Hospital Pharmacy

Old Hospital Plans

Once the new Camogli Healthcare Centre is built the old hospital complex will be re-furbished and renamed. It is planned for it to contain a day care centre for the elderly and new apartments for expats, visiting specialists etc.