MFV Edinburgh's November - December fishing voyage
Report from Cynthia Green
MFV Edinburgh loaded passengers at about 3pm on Monday 11th December 2017 and the ship sailed for Cape Town late in the evening. This departure is the final 2017 voyage from Tristan, as MFV Geo Searcher will remain at the Tristan da Cunha Islands over Christmas and New Year, planning to return to Cape Town on 9th January 2018.
The passengers aboard are islanders Karl, Julia & Kaitlyn Hagan, Joseph & Anne Green and Gerry Repetto, together with Factory Manager Clinton de Bod, Vladimir Laptikhovsky, Thomas Mercier, Charlotte Johansen and Christina Domeland.
MV Edinburgh anchored off Gough Island in 2015
Update from Administrator Sean Burns
MFV Edinburgh arrived at Tristan on Saturday 18th from Inaccessible Island and during the morning of Sunday 19th November, the passengers came ashore, four days after first arriving at Tristan, and eleven days after leaving Cape Town.
The vessel brought the refurbished Search and Rescue RIB back with her. James Glass, Rodney Green and Warren Glass have joined the vessel as she heads off to do the first round of surveys on the sea mounts. This programme is being funded by the Blue Belt programme and is part of a strategy to develop Tristan's fishery in a sustainable manner. A fisheries officer from CEFAS is also aboard. After the survey she will then start to fish commercially. She is expected to depart here for Cape Town in early December. This is an additional trip to the schedule and is one of tangible benefits to Tristan of developing the fishery.
Report from Cynthia Green
MFV Edinburgh departed Cape Town on Wednesday 8th November 2017 and arrived at Tristan a week later on the morning of Wednesday 15th November. Unfortunately sea conditions were not suitable to get the passengers ashore, so the ship has gone to the lee of Inaccessible Island. The weather forecast is poor for the next few days but it is hoped passengers can be brought ashore soon.
Passengers are English Teacher Peter Foster and visitors Thomas Mercier, Charlotte Johansen and Christina Domeland.
Additional Fishing Voyage gives extra shipping capacity for Tristan
MFV Edinburgh is making its second 2017 fishing trip to the local seamounts, carrying out a long-line operation and biomass survey. The new venture by the fishing concession Ovenstones means an extra Tristan trip and more capacity to carry passengers to and from the island. Formerly MFV Edinburgh was the principal lobster fishing vessel, but this role has been taken over by MFV Geo Searcher. MV Baltic Trader has also been brought back into service as a passenger - cargo ship.
Three November arrivals - then a gap until February 2018
MFV Geo Searcher is expected to depart Cape Town on 15th November for an extended fishing trip until January, carrying the last post and supplies of 2017. Therefore there will be three ships arriving at Tristan during November 2017, but the next arrival will not be until February 2018, when MFV Edinburgh is due to arrive on the 1st on the month.
MFV Geo Searcher's November - January Fishing Trip
Update from Sean Burns
MFV Geo Searcher arrived during the evening of Thursday 23rd November, when passengers soon came ashore. The vessel went to Inaccessible Island on Friday as weather on Tristan was unsuitable for offloading, but returned to the Tristan anchorage on Saturday 25th November when all the Christmas goodies were brought ashore. Once this was completed the ship proceeded to the outer island fishing grounds, with Tristan Sea Fisheries Officer Adrian Swain aboard.
Report from Cynthia Green
MFV Geo Searcher departed Cape Town during the morning of Wednesday 15th November 2017 for an extended lobster fishing trip to the outer Tristan da Cunha islands of Gough, Inaccessible and Nightingale Islands. This final 2017 voyage will bring the final deliveries of mail and provisions for the community.
Passengers aboard are: Islanders Trevor Glass, Teresa Green, John Lavarello, Terence Green, and Beverley Repetto, plus Tim Eyres.
It is very unusual for this final fishing trip of the year to continue over the Christmas and New Year holiday. MFV Geo Searcher is scheduled to leave Tristan for Cape Town on 9th January 2018.
The next sailingfrom Cape Town will be by MFV Edinburgh, scheduled to depart from Cape Town on 25th January, arriving at Tristan on 1st February.
Baltic Trader returns to Tristan service
Report from Cynthia Green and Sean Burns
MV Baltic Trader successfully completed offloading at about 6pm on Sunday 12th November 2017. The lobster product was back loaded the following morning and the only passenger, Bernard Pronost, went on board at 12.00am. The ship sailed for Cape Town at 1.30pm.
MV Baltic Trader departed Cape Town on the morning of Saturday 28th October 2017 and arrived at Tristan at about noon on Monday 6th November. The only passenger on board was visitor Bernard Pronost. He came ashore during the afternoon on a raft, together with two bulls imported to improve local cattle stock.
This voyage is principally to transport materials to Tristan for dolos moulding, Puma road project and other planned works over the next few months.
This additional sailing of the Baltic Trader, the second of 2017, means that there will be three Ovenstone vessels arriving during November, with MFV Edinburgh expected to depart Cape Town on 7th November and MFV Geo Searcher on 15th November. See the latest updated shipping schedule http://www.tristandc.com/shipping.php for details.
Geo Searcher Fishing Voyage Update
|MFV Geo Searcher's first fishing trip of the 2017/2018 season
2017 SA Agulhas II Visit
|Report of the annual voyage of the SA Agulhas II, which visited the Tristan Group between 13th September and 5th October 2017.
RMS St Helena to visit Tristan again in January 2018
|'Final' Final RMS St Helena voyage to Tristan announced
2017 Agulhas Trip
|2017 passage of the SA Agulhas II from Cape Town to Tristan and Gough Islands
Arrival of Yacht Zephyr
|The yacht Zephyr called at Tristan on the 15th September 2017 on its way from Salvador, Brazil to Cape Town.
- Page Updated: Tristan da Cunha Cruise Ships (24-Jul-2017) >>
- Edinburgh returns to Cape Town (22-Jul-2017) >>
- Page Updated: Tristan da Cunha Shipping Schedules (10-Jul-2017) >>
- Edinburgh arrives at Tristan (3-Jul-2017) >>
- Pacific Askari returns to Cape Town (8-Jun-2017) >>
- Visit of the yacht Pelagic Australis (30-May-2017) >>
- Geo Searcher makes maiden voyage to Gough Island (23-May-2017) >>
- Dual departure for Cape Town (22-May-2017) >>
- Two ships arrive from Cape Town (19-May-2017) >>
- Conrad and Sharon Glass' 2017 return to St Helena cancelled (10-May-2017) >>
- MV Pacific Askari starts Tristan voyage (10-May-2017) >>
- Baltic Trader's May Voyage (9-May-2017) >>
- Geo-Searcher departs for Cape Town (28-Apr-2017) >>
- Geo-Searcher arrives at Tristan for the first time (18-Apr-2017) >>
- Baltic Trader returns to Cape Town (13-Apr-2017) >>
- MV Geo-Searcher makes its maiden voyage to Tristan da Cunha (13-Apr-2017) >>
- Baltic Trader Additional March - April Voyage (10-Apr-2017) >>
- Patient evacuated to Tristan from bulk carrier (10-Apr-2017) >>
- Visit of the MV Plancius, April 2017 (10-Apr-2017) >>
- Yacht 'Lejos' Sinks NW of Tristan (6-Apr-2017) >>
- Bulk Carrier Missing 650km NW of Tristan (3-Apr-2017) >>
- Yacht Sea Oyster calls at Tristan (24-Mar-2017) >>
- Visit of the Bark Europa, March 2017 (24-Mar-2017) >>
- Visit of the Cruise Ship Le Lyrial to Tristan, March 2017 (21-Mar-2017) >>
- Visit of HMS Protector (17-Mar-2017) >>
- Baltic Trader makes extra February-March 2017 charter trip (12-Mar-2017) >>
- Norman Glass gains Yachtmaster Ocean qualification (1-Mar-2017) >>
- Edinburgh departs for Cape Town (22-Feb-2017) >>
- Cape 2 Rio 2017 yacht racers call at Tristan on their way home (20-Feb-2017) >>
- Departure of SVS Grenville (8-Feb-2017) >>
- National Geographic 'Pristine Seas' team visits the settlement (7-Feb-2017) >>
- Visit of the Gulden Leeuw (31-Jan-2017) >>
- More Photos of the Portland and Gold Rover Visit (26-Jan-2017) >>
- MV Edinburgh arrives at Tristan (23-Jan-2017) >>
- Yacht Do Do reaches Tristan at the third attempt (23-Jan-2017) >>
- Visit of HMS Portland and RFA Gold Rover in January 2017 (18-Jan-2017) >>
- Expedition arrives at Tristan (18-Jan-2017) >>
- Arrival of SVS Grenville (18-Jan-2017) >>
- Tristan Represented at London Cruise Show (14-Jan-2017) >>
- The Expedition ship SVS Grenville and its voyage (13-Jan-2017) >>
- Two ships sailing from Cape Town (11-Jan-2017) >>
- Sudden death of Captain Rodney Young on 3rd January 2017 (10-Jan-2017) >>