The Tristan da Cunha Government are currently recruiting for three posts for appointments in 2016:
These are rare opportunities to work in the unique Tristan da Cunha community and present life-changing opportunities for the right candidates.
Please note that previous applicants for education posts advertised in August 2015 need not re-apply but will be considered.
Details are below.
Vehicle Mechanic for a two year contract starting in 2016
This post may suit a semi-retired or retired person.
Tristan da Cunha is one of the United Kingdom’s Overseas Territories and is the world’s remotest inhabited island. There is just one village where the population of 267 live. This is an opportunity to work in a unique community where you will have a chance to make a real difference.
The Island requires an experienced vehicle mechanic, with extensive knowledge of working in challenging and remote places. The individual will spend two years training local islanders, creating a pool of skilled and dedicated mechanics for the community.
The island is situated 1,750 miles from South Africa and only accessible by sea – at least six days sailing away from Cape Town. A harbour allows for access to the island for approximately 60 days of the year.
See other website pages for more information about the island,
- Very experienced, hands on ex REME/ RE field mechanic ( ex-artificer)
- Strong team player working and training people while imbedded in the team
- Semi-retired, patient, resilient and used to challenging environments .
- Ability to pass on skills, set standards, improvise and use field engineering skills
- Strong interpersonal skills being able to adapt and integrate into different social environments
- Electronic / diagnostic experience would be a distinct advantage.
- Establish and teach a ‘first line spares’ culture for the workshops
- Pass on basic H&S at work practices whilst allowing for local conditions
- Be able to accredit performance levels against UK standards or equivalent
- Preferably with a military background in REME.
- Experienced with JCB plant - high level of competence and knowledge
- Experienced with Volvo – moderate level
- Knowledge of Land Rover, Massey Ferguson tractors and Toyota pickups
- Working outside as required – field engineer
- Ability to improvise
- 24 months (accompanied by request)
- 25k GBP per year, 30 days leave – 25 days sick leave.
- Working in a basic, dry covered workshop on site
- Spares and specialist tools on site or on order from SA
- Accommodation will be provided.
- There is a village shop, pub and post office.
- If you like fishing then you will enjoy time off.
- The internet is weak and intermittent at present and no mobile phones.
- The Tristan Administrator Alex Mitham will conduct all final interviews by land line phone, not mobiles.
- Self-catering after first two weeks and monthly costs no more than 300 GBP
- There are only about 9 ships per year visiting the island so it’s a commitment for at least 12 months.
- Journey air to Cape Town for 4 days then ship to island 6 -10 days each way depending on ship / sea conditions.
- Please write in the first place to Mike Wolfenden, Director of PWD at firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover email (250 words) detailing how you meet the essential criteria. .” I can bring the following to TDC as island trainer and mechanic for two years” and attach your CV.
We publish here any Tristan da Cunha job opportunities
Advertisements have appeared for the posts of Chief Financial Accountant, Commercial Officer, Tristan da Cunha Government UK Representative, Assistant to the Tristan Government UK Representative, Manager of Tristan House in Cape Town, Education Adviser, Senior Teacher / Teacher Trainer, Director of Public Works Department, Director of Medical Services, Agriculture Adviser and Priest. We have also advertised RSPB jobs for various posts in conservation.
Other job adverts have included Executive Director of the United Kingdom Overseas Territories Association